How 'body-shaming' are you?

In a scale from 1 to 10, how 'body-shaming' do you consider yourself?



That's what revolve in today's generation. But first, what does body-shaming means?

"God please make me stop eating. I look like a flippin potato and I am fat!"

"With the power of this high end concealer, I commend you to conceal and hide all my zits and scars!"

"Can I be like those Korean girls with zero pores?"

"Z, please stand in front of me so I won't look fat in the picture."

Yes, any similar statements you've been saying to yourself or probably you have heard from your surrounding? Don't worry. It is everywhere and I am one of them. It has become a norm to criticise our body in a very unethical way. From comparing yourself to others, to criticising people's appearance either with or without them, that is what we called body-shaming. No matter what, it only leads to comparison of appearance and that ideas of people should be judged by their appearance.

I've always been a plus size ever since I was young. I had my anxiety days and hard times when I was criticised by my own brothers for being fat and ugly. At the age of 14, I suddenly lost weight drastically for all the stress and irregular meals. There's one time when I feel so ashamed about my body, I decided to go on a strict diet by eating one meal a day. And with that, I fell sick for countless of times (I can't barely count my own MCs and medication)

After reaching my 20s, I open my mind to a whole new perspective. That body-shaming should not exist, that you have to be comfortable in your own skin. I've come to realise size and number of pimples doesn't determine who you are. 

It's okay to wear make-ups, I do wear it too because I find it very fascinating to do some arts on my face. And it's okay to worry about your body or your weight when you know yourself that you have surpassed certain limits. You can work to get better in shape by working out, do yoga or sports, but stop down-grading and criticising yourself. 

You are beautiful!
Yes, you are!

If you feel uncomfortable with your friends or probably your family that has been calling you or said it to you face that you are fat or ugly, then tell them how hurtful you are to be called that way. If they are among your friends, then think again, are they really your 'friend'?

Be confident and thankful for how God has moulded you. He moulded you! That really means, every person has its own unique and beauty! Don't you feel special? Or are you one of the people who being unthankful for what God has done for you? 


"Then which of the Blessings of your Lord will you both (jinn and men) deny?" 
[The Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rahman (55): 13]


Take a second and think about it! :)


Popular Posts